Friday, May 3, 2013

Fun With Wooden Letters

Another stolen Pinterest idea. Wooden Wreath from Michaels $4.99, Giant Wooden 'S' $3.99, Flowers $2.99. I had the paint and blue striped ribbon already from a pervious craft so I did not have to purchase any for this craft. I started off using painters tape on my big wooden letter. And by big wooden letter I mean the biggest they had. This letter was not in the section with all the other wooden letters it was across the store by these wooden wreaths. I placed the painters tape on my letter in a stripe design and painted the blue between the tape. After two coats of paint I let it dry for an hour. The problem I encountered was when i peeled the tape off. The original white paint (at least I thought it was paint) peeled off with the tape leaving these odd brown patched behind. Luckily I had white paint handy as well and simply painted over these brown spots. Next time I will be priming the letters myself prior to painting. After that problem was solved I took a yellow Sharpie Paint Marker and outlined my blue stripes and the entire letter around the edges.


I wrapped my blue striped ribbon around the top part of my wreath. Then i took a hot glue gun and glued the S to the wooden wreath. I took the fake flowers I purchased and just pulled them off the stems. You can choose to leave the stems and just fish them through the wreath, I did that prior to borrowing a hot glue gun to make them stick. Once I had the hot glue gun I just put a lot of glue on the stem of the flowers and pushed them through the sticks and held them til they stuck and the glue dried.



And wha-la! this is my summer wreath hanging on my door. :)

Below is a cute little decoration I made for our bedroom. Originally we had a large painting of a purple flower, but we were tired of it being on this wall so we moved it to another and my boyfriend left me to do what I pleased to make the wall look nice. Now, my first attempt at the above wreath a purchased and painted the S shown below. I realized it was way to small to fit on the wreath but I had already painted it and was sure i could find another use for it. So I went back to Michaels and bought a few wooden cut outs: C, heart, and a frame with hearts carved into the edges.
I painted the frame black, the heart red, and striped the C to match the S and just used blue paint for Corey. I rent my house so I use Command strips to hang everything so I don't put holes in my walls. Hanging this was easy-peasy. 3 .5lb Command strips on the sides and top of the frame and stuck it to my wall. 2 1lb Command strips on the tops and bottoms of each letter, and I stuck them to the wall in the frame. Last, 1 .5lb Command strip on the back of the heart stuck between the letters. I was more than pleased with my new 3D wooden art as was my boyfriend.


Corey <3 Suzie

No comments:

Post a Comment